Start the holidays right with a scrumptious Moringa Pie! ‘Tis the time to get your sweet tooth on – but the Holidays can be an extra burden on our waistline. Feel less guilty knowing that you have added the power of moringa’s vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cupsfresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 3large apples (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cupapple cider
- 2 tablespoonsdark rum
- 1 cupsugar
- 3 tablespoonscornstarch
- 1 teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoonground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, and cut in butter with a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) until dough resembles coarse meal.
- Add 3 tablespoons ice water, and stir, adding 2 to 4 more tablespoons water until dough forms a ball and leaves side of bowl.
- Form into 2 flat, round discs (or balls), cover with plastic wrap, and chill until ready to use.
- Roll half of Easy Piecrust dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface (about a 13-inch circle). Fold in half, and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Unfold and drape over pie plate, pressing bottom and sides into pan. Roll remaining dough about same thickness and size; place on a baking sheet. Chill both piecrusts in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine cranberries and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and toss to coat. Add 1 cup sugar and next 5 ingredients, and toss to coat. Pour mixture into chilled piecrust in pie plate.
- Cut chilled dough on baking sheet into 1/2-inch strips. Place 5 to 7 strips over filling in one direction; add remaining strips in perpendicular direction, folding back alternating strips in a crisscross fashion. Trim strips even with edges of crust; fold edges under, crimp and use a fork to form the edges if desired. Place pie on a baking sheet; brush pastry with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake at 375° for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown. (If top is browning too quickly, lightly shield with aluminum foil.) Let cool about 1 hour before slicing.
Incorporate the miracle of Moringa into your baked goods and start 2018 on a high note delicious wellness-inspired recipe. We hope you enjoy this Moringa Holiday Pie and have an amazing holiday with your loved ones!
We value your safety and encourage you to practice safe food preparation habits. Please visit our Food Safety resource for more information before trying to recreate any of our recipes.