A list of 5 natural pre workouts to boost your stamina before your next workout
What is a natural pre workout? We all know how important it is to work out regularly. But do you know what you should eat before a workout? Most people work out on an empty stomach and while it's not the right thing to do, you shouldn’t have a hearty meal before your workout either. Eating the right food at the right time is crucial to a successful gym session.
If you don’t fuel your body properly, you’ll feel weak and your body will fatigue faster. A natural pre workout can prevent this by boosting your stamina and energy levels. According to a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, a pre workout—when combined with HIIT—can significantly improve VO₂ max, training volume and lean body mass, while also speeding up the rate at which moderately-trained recreational athletes lose body fat.
Instead of the artificially synthesized pre workout supplements, you should opt for natural pre workouts. They will give you a similar boost of energy without any of the side effects associated with supplements.
What are the best natural pre workouts?
Oats are a great natural pre workout option. Carbohydrates are a major source of fuel for the body. Oats, being complex carbs, will keep you energetic and satiated for long. They are highly beneficial for preparing your muscles for working out.
- Oats are easier to digest than other whole grains.
- They provide thiamin, a water-soluble B vitamin, also known as vitamin B1. This vitamin plays a critical role in energy metabolism.
- Oats contain large amounts of beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber. They increase the feeling of fullness and keep you satiated for a long time by increasing the production of the satiety hormone peptide YY.
- Oats regulate your appetite and can help you lose weight.
- Oats are a good natural pre workout option because adding them to your diet will significantly increase your protein intake. Forty grams of oats offer approximately 7 grams of protein.
If you only have time for a quick snack right before your workout, you should grab a banana. Bananas are a healthy source of carbohydrates. Incorporating banana as a natural pre workout in your diet will help you stay active for longer. You can add a banana to your smoothie or eat it with peanut butter for a delicious and natural pre workout snack.
- Banana is a good natural pre workout because your body digests it quickly. It quickly provides the carbs required by your body for a workout.
- Bananas contain sugar and starch, which provide energy to the body.
- They pack in potassium, magnesium and calcium. These nutrients help you prevent and ease muscle cramps.
- Banana is a great natural pre workout as it boosts your glycogen store and increases your blood sugar levels.
It acts as a great natural pre workout as it increases energy and reduces fatigue. Moringa provides natural, long-lasting energy, heightened endurance, and possible relief of muscle soreness. You can add moringa leaf powder to your pre workout smoothie and reap its benefits.
- Moringa is a complete plant protein as it contains all 18 amino acids including the nine essential amino acids that our body can't produce. These proteins are crucial for muscle-building.
- High-intensity workouts can cause oxidative stress. Since moringa is rich in antioxidants, it can help reduce exercise-induced oxidative stress. This is because it contains an abundance of free-radical fighting agents like quercetin and chlorogenic acid.
- According to a 2015 study moringa can increase energy and endurance.
- Moringa has potent anti-fatigue properties, so it can improve blood hemoglobin and glycogen reserves during physical activity and reduce triglycerides, urea and lactic acid.
- Moringa contains significant amounts of electrolyte minerals like potassium. Therefore, it keeps your body internally hydrated.
This natural pre workout option is also rich in complex carbohydrates. Sweet potatoes are a treasure trove of vitamins and minerals. You can easily add them to your pre workout diet. You can steam, boil, roast or bake them.
- Sweet potatoes are low on the glycemic index, providing sustainable energy for your workout.
- Sweet potatoes are high in fiber. They take time to digest, so you won’t feel hungry during your workout.
- Sweet potatoes contain magnesium, which is a relaxation and anti-stress mineral that can ease and prevent fatigue.
- Since they are full of vitamin C, they can prevent muscle catabolism.
Yogurt is the ultimate natural pre workout as it is rich in carbohydrates, proteins and other essential nutrients for your body. For a high dose of energy, you can add sliced apples or blueberries to your yogurt.
- It is a good natural pre workout because it is easy on your stomach. It also keeps you full for a long time.
- Yogurt is packed with protein. A cup of 200 grams of yogurt contains approximately 12 grams of protein.
- Yogurt also contains calcium, which helps preserve bone mass and energy.
- By adding yogurt to your diet, you can also manage your weight. According to a 2015 study, yogurt consumption is associated with lower body mass index, lower body weight/weight gain, smaller waist circumference and lower body fat.
If you think it is hard to find a natural pre-workout that keeps you full and comfortable through your workouts, choose any from our list above. Try our top natural pre-workout options and figure out what works for you best.